Thursday, September 27, 2012

Have You Ever Seen a Smack of Jellyfish?

Henry requested a trip to the Wagner Institute for his birthday.  We brought a friend and my brother (who had never been before and really liked it).  It's a free museum in a beautiful old building (seriously, the antique radiators are amazing) with an incredible collection of natural artifacts dating back to the 19th century.


If you've never been, and you're in the area, it's worth a visit.  They host events that are great for kids and a lecture series in the antique lecture hall.  I've attended some really interesting ones in the past.  The collection has taxidermy animals, skeletons, insects, fossils, rocks, shells, etc...  There's a particularly interesting case that shows the process of making the taxidermy animals.  All of us grabbed clipboards and did the scavenger hunt they provided.

 I like supporting these 'hidden treasures' which Philadelphia seems to be full of, so we picked out some things from the gift shop, one of which was this awesome book.

Sarah Asper-Smith 2010 

Another animal ABC book but this time with bold graphics and the name for animals in a group. Now we know that a group of rhinos is called a "crash" and a bunch of turtles is a "bale". Really fun stuff!





It's funny how appropriate this one (and the hippo one) is!




Other ABC Books:
The City-Country ABC
The Underwater Alphabet Book
Christmas ABC
ABC Dreamsbnm,/




3 comments:

  1. I'm such a nerd when it comes to books like these. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    Google Alerts let me know that you found my book, and I just wanted to thank you for the kind words! We have in common a special kind of love for language...

    All the best to you and your family,
    Sarah Asper-Smith

    P.S. I love the Wagner!
    P.P.S. I have another book coming out in December--it's called "I Would Tuck You In", and it's illustrated by my husband, Mitch.
    P.P.P.S. My oldest and dearest friend is named Marlowe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, that's so cool that you found my blog. We love your book and have been recommending it to friends. I hope this gets the word out! We will definitely look for your next book when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete